Jonesboro Attorneys

What to Do When Your Child Gets a DUI

If you recently got a phone call late at night about your child’s DUI arrest, you are probably feeling shocked, angry, concerned, and helpless. While these feelings are perfectly normal, you must consider what your child is experiencing since this arrest has occurred. During this trying time, your child needs your guidance and a plan to get his or her life back on track with facing severe penalties.

What are the Penalties?

The penalties for a first-time DUI in Arkansas include:

  • Jail sentence of up to one year
  • Maximum license suspension period of 120 days
  • Fines of up to $500
  • Alcohol education program
  • Community service

Additionally, an underage drinker may be charged with minor in possession of alcohol, distributing alcohol to other minors, soliciting alcohol, child endangerment, possession of false ID, as well as moving and vehicle maintenance violations.

Helping Your Child

The first step you need to take to help your child is to contact an attorney on his or her behalf. A criminal defense lawyer is capable of providing the proper legal guidance necessary to either get your child’s charges reduced or their case dismissed entirely. An attorney can review your child’s case and determine all of his or her legal options in order to build an effective and personalized defense strategy.

As a parent, you can help your child by attending all of their meetings with their attorney and listen to the legal plan. It is important to put your anger aside for the benefit of your child and help them move on from this difficult situation.

Remember, this situation is not your fault! Things happen that are beyond your control. So rather than feeling as though you have failed your child, this is a time to be proactive and encourage your child to make better decisions in the future. Turn a troubling situation into a teaching example so your child can hopefully learn from it and avoid making the same mistake again.

If your child has been arrested for a DWI in Arkansas, contact our Jonesboro criminal defense lawyer at The Law Office of Paul Ford today.